Monday, April 09, 2007

Start thinking about 2008-2009!

Yes, if you are graduating in December 2007 or April 2008, you should start thinking about your life after April 2008 now:

Visit this Honors College site for information about fellowship opportunities for degree and non-degree study abroad after graduation:

If you are planning to go to graduate school in the humanities or social sciences or to professional school in law, medicine, public health, public affairs, or other fields, having (additional) international experience and language training after graduation is good preparation for many fields (and looks good on applications also.) Note that the Rotary deadline for 2008-2009 is June of 2007. Get moving.

And go to this Fulbright information session tomorrow if you can: TUESDAY, APRIL 10
Special Invitation to Attend an U.S. Student Fulbright Program Information Meeting4:30 to 6:30
2210 Doherty Hall, Carnegie Mellon University
If you are a U.S. citizen with a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or higher, an undergraduate graduating in May or August 2008 or are a graduate student (graduating anytime on or after May 2009), and would like to research, study, or teach internationally, you should seriously consider applying for a U.S. Student Fulbright Program Grant. Fulbright Grants pay for one year’s study, research or teaching in up to 140 different countries outside the United States. A full grant covers travel, insurance, tuition (if studying) and living costs. By September 27, 2007, you will need to apply for a Fulbright Grant and, if successful, you fulfill your grant commitment the following academic year. Approximately 1,100 Fulbright Grants are awarded annually to graduating seniors, graduate students, and emerging professionals. To be successful, you must decide what you want to do. For the majority of Fulbright grants projects are determined by you. The Fulbright selection board has to be convinced that you have the academic background and the maturity to successfully complete your project within one year. It is very helpful to get written affiliation from a professor or other mentor in your chosen host country. Another form of a Fulbright Grant is to provide support for you to teach English for one year in a total of 15 different countries located in Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Asia and South America. These opportunities are available to graduating seniors. For several of the countries, your host country language skills must be very good, whereas for the other countries, you do not need strong language skills. All teaching grants stress that you be a good representative of the United States and have a good command of English (some teaching and/or tutoring experience is also very helpful). If you are interested in the undergraduate Fulbright Program and are not able to attend to this meeting, please contact Allison Hahn at and schedule a time to meet with Amy Eckhardt. If you are interested in the graduate Fulbright Program and are not able to attend to this meeting, please contact Angi Yucas at For additional information about the U.S. Student Fulbright Program, please visit the Fulbright website at University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University are co-sponsoring an information session given by Tony Claudino from IIE in New York about the Fulbright Student Programs.

Visit the Career Services website for general information about how to start planning your post-BA career:

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner