Monday, November 23, 2009
Wednesday, December 2 from 5:00 to 7:00pm
at Carnegie Mellon University, 237B Baker Hall (the long building across the bridge from Pitt).
An informal discussion with Pittsburgh faculty Allyson Creasman (CMU), Frank Toker (Pitt), Jen Waldron (Pitt), Dan Selcer (Duquesne), Adam Shear (Pitt), Renate Blumenfeld-Kosinski (Pitt), and Peggy Knapp (CMU), all of whom will briefly describe their fields of interest. Graduate and Undergraduate students can see who's doing what, what courses will be offered, and what books are hot.
As in Plato's day, a symposium is a festive occasion implying food as well as conversation; accordingly, the roundtable will befollowed by a light supper for everyone who comes, so we can converse in smaller groups. Please rsvp to Peggy Knapp at CMU, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sponsored by the Pittsburgh Consortium for Medieval and Renaissance Studies.
Friday, November 06, 2009
This upcoming Winter Break, Pitt students will have the opportunity to Test Drive a Career by shadowing an alum or employer. Winter Break is an ideal time since your finals will be over! What better occasion to participate in an a job shadowing experience that will give you the opportunity to shadow a professional and learn more about the potential field you want to enter. If you are considering more than one career field then this is a great way to narrow down your options. If you know what career you want to pursue, this is a great way to “reality check” that profession.
Job shadowing is especially important for sophomores as you will have to declare a major by the end of the academic year. It is important to experience first hand a career field that you may be interested in before making this imperative decision. Below are more details and instructions on how to sign up. We look forward to hearing from you!
This is how the job shadowing will work:
- You will be matched with an alum or employer near your Winter Break residence.
- The experience can last from a half day to a full day of shadowing.
- You will earn OCC credit.
- The shadowing dates are:
- December 21, 22, 23, 28, 29, & 30
How to register:
- RSVP to the Panther Shadow Program through FutureLinks.
- Click on “events”, then
- Click on “workshops”, then
- Click on Panther Shadow Program
- You must upload your resume on FutureLinks
- Click on “documents”, then
- Under the “documents” tab, then click “add new”
* If you do not have a resume you can use the Resume Architect on FutureLinks or come to walk-in hours at the Career Development Office from 1 to 4, Monday – Friday, on the 2nd Floor of the William Pitt Union.
Email the following information to email@example.com – please use the subject “Panther Shadow Program Student”:
- Year in school.
- Industry/industries of interest – up to three.
- Cities you will be near during your Winter Break that are an hour or less away.
- Any dates listed above that you will not be available.
DEADLINE TO RSVP IS NOVEMBER 20, 2009
For any questions, please contact Danielle Scott at firstname.lastname@example.org.