Thursday, November 29, 2007

CROSS-LISTING: FAQ

Q; If I want to count a course toward the Religious Studies major or minor, do I have to be enrolled in the "RELGST" section of the course?
A: NO!

Q: So it will count toward Religious Studies if I take History of the Holocaust as HIST 1769 or JS 1215?
A: YES!

Q; What if I take History of the Holocaust as RELGST 1252? Can I count it toward the History major too?
A: YES (subject to the limit on overlaps).
Remember: Cross-listing means that a course counts as a course offered by all the departments and programs that sign-on as sponsors. It does not matter what section of the course you are enrolled in--it's the same course and fulfills the same requirements.

Q: So if I take RELGST 1252, it will also fulfill my History gen-ed requirement? I don't have to take it as HIST 1252?
A: THAT'S RIGHT. ALL SECTIONS OF A CROSS-LISTED COURSE FULLFILL THE SAME REQUIREMENTS

Q; Do all seats for a cross-listed course show up in Peoplesoft?
A: YES AND NO. Peoplesoft can play tricks on you because of cross-listing. If you were to search for RELGST 1145 Greco-Roman Religions right now, you might see it as closed. But look more closely at the total seats. The RELGST 1145 section of this course is closed, but there are still seats in the CLASS 1402 section of this course.
Make sure you look carefully anytime you encounter a closed course to make sure that all seats in all cross-listed sections are gone. Otherwise, you might miss an opportunity to take something you wanted.

Q: So I can register for Greco-Roman Religions as CLASS 1402 and it would count for the Religious Studies major?
A: YES. READ THE ABOVE AGAIN.
 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner