The Jack Wilson Fund of The Pittsburgh Foundation was created to provide financial assistance for innovative, international opportunities that foster an appreciation of and better understanding among different cultures. Priority will be given to ideas that promote peace and community development. In order to be considered for this full or partial fellowship, applicants must:
1. Have completed at least three years of undergraduate work or be enrolled in a graduate program at any of the following schools: Carlow University, Chatham University, Carnegie Mellon University, Duquesne University, Point Park University, Robert Morris University, St. Vincent College, University of Akron and the University of Pittsburgh.
2. Have completed degree work in or be majoring in one of the following fields: international affairs, political science, world cultures, inter-cultural communications, social work, education, art, music.
3. Have a plan to visit another country for the purpose of increasing understanding of other cultures. This plan should include a specific service-oriented project.
4. Demonstrate financial need to undertake travel and project.
5. Complete an application and include a one and a half page essay explaining
how this project will promote peace and community development or is of some other use to the country being visited.
6. Provide an interim report acknowledging receipt of funds and arrival at the destination and a detailed follow-up report of their project within two months of its completion. These must be mailed to The Pittsburgh Foundation at the address indicated at the bottom of the application
An Advisory Committee will select the recipient (subject to the approval of the Board of Directors of The Pittsburgh Foundation). No member of the Advisory Committee, or his or her immediate family, shall be eligible for assistance during his or her tenure on the Advisory Committee.
The Pittsburgh Foundation shall notify the chosen recipient(s) of its decision. All scholarship checks will be made payable to the university for the student or appropriate designated organization. For the application, please click here.
For more information please visit The Pittsburgh Foundation website at http://www.pittsburghfoundation.org.