Registration is almost here!
1) Sign-up sheets for pre-registration advising appointments and registration appointments are now next to my office door (2603 CL--note the change).
2) If you are registering with me (i.e. Religious Studies is your primary major), you should sign up for a pre-registration meeting AND for a registration appointment. If no registration time is convenient for you, or if you want to sign up for courses at 8 am Monday morning when registration begins, we can fill out an enrollment form for you at your pre-registration advising meeting and you can take it directly to the Registrar's office in Thackeray during registration. It is your responsibility to meet with advisors in other departments and secure their signed permissions to enter advanced courses or courses that tend to close out before you come to me to register. I cannot give you advice on other majors and I cannot override closed course messages or prerequisite messages on Peoplesoft to put you in courses from other departments.
3) If you are registering with another department (i.e. Religious Studies is not your primary major), you should meet with me during a pre-registration advising meeting to discuss your progress in the Religious Studies major. If we have met recently, this may not be necessary.
4) The free newspaper with course descriptions is no more: go to www.as.pitt.edu and click on Undergraduate Studies and then on Course Descriptions. You can use this to search for courses by department AND by general education requirement. Descriptions for Spring 2007 should be up on October 13. This contains times and days and the CRN (5 digit number needed for registration) for each course. However, you must also check everything in the Peoplesoft course schedule (via my.pitt.edu) because that contains the most up-to-date information on course availability and most accurate information about days-times. (Peoplesoft is the scripture; the Course Descriptions page is commentary.) Also, when using the Course Descriptions page, you should note whether a recitation is required and check for recitations in the Peoplesoft course schedule.
5) Thackeray Hall is preparing hard copies of the course descriptions and the timetables but they are charging ($13.00 and $17.00 respectively) for them. If you want one, go to Thackeray Hall and place an order by October 12. But I recommend using the free on-line versions anyway as they will be more accurate and will be updated regularly as changes are made.
6) PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT SIGN UP FOR A SENIOR APPOINTMENT UNLESS YOU WILL HAVE MORE THAN 84 CREDITS BY THE END OF THIS SEMESTER. Check with me if you are not sure about this.